Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Week in a Whirl

My first week was something of a blur.  My sister came with me, and so we spent our time between trying to fit out my apartment and trying to see many historical sites.  I'd been in London briefly but it was her first time, so I felt guilty taking up too much time shopping when she hadn't seen things.

Things I Learned/Experienced in That Week.

  1. It is possible to close out a museum.  A.K.A. They will kick you out of Kensington Palace.  Before I got a phone, my sister and I were sort of rubbish at keeping track of time.  I didn't realize how close we were to closing until a guide came over, told us the most direct route to the door, and said they were closing in five minutes.  Guess what, my sister still stopped to read exhibits.  I still shake my head in exasperation.
  2. Westminster Abbey brings out my inner Shakespeare Geek.  Did you know they have Henry V's tomb there?  Why, yes, I did stop to read the St. Crispin's Day speech.  How'd you guess?
  3. Paris is so beautiful you could just cry.  And, if you're me, you actually will.  My sister and I took the Chunnel over to Paris.  My sister studied abroad there, and I'd never been.  Now those two days really were a blur.  I cried in Notre Dame; realized that if all churches were like St Chappelle then people would pray more; and got lost in the Louvre.  [My sister's and my streak of getting lost in castles and palaces continues.]  Also, just so you know, there's a time difference between London and Paris.  I used to know that, and I forgot, and it tripped me up majorly.  Yay.
I also registered at school and for my classes and got a not too hideous student ID.  The guy printing my ID and the girl who had been in line before me both had the same birthday as I did.  That's never happened to me before.  [Okay, my twin and I have the same birthday, but that hardly counts, because a) I don't remember meeting here and b) there's only one of her, so it's not exactly the same level of coincidence.]

Eventually, my sister had to get on her plane back to America.  I think I did a very manful job of not crying in the airport.  She'd have been pleased.  That's her rule: Never cry in public.  I've heard of worse rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment